Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Craving For Yummy Malaysian Food!

Hello readers,
It has been a while isn't it?  So, today is the fourth day of my attempt to lose another 5kg as I was planning to reward myself to a new pair of jean..hopefully..hihi..That little journey to weight lose is going on fine until I sat down in front of the TV and watch Food Network. Those colorful mouthwatering dishes were torturing me, the slices of breads, the cracking sounds of the crispy deep fried chips, the melting cheese oozing from that hot pizza...aarrrgghh!. But I have to remain calm and compose. Looking at all those foods reminds me of what I love to eat, and honestly I love food, was never a picky eater. Chinese food, Indian, Malays,just bring it home to mama...hahaha. So I decided to compile them all here for my own viewing pleasure...you too! (All photos are courtesy of Google)

Favourite Indian Food


 Roti Nan Cheese
I called this my Indian Pizza. I just have to have this once a week at least and I prefer having this on its own minus the mint dippings and all.


 Vadai
 I love this while it's still hot for tea time of course. I love the taste of lentils, curry leaves, shallots and chillies combined in a deep fried dough.


 Roti Thosai
 Hot and aromatic Indian pancakes with  blends of lentils, seeds of fenugreek and soaked rice. I craved this when I was pregnant. We drove  all over the town and most shops that we usually frequent are closed. By the end of the day, we did found one..pheww!


Favorite Chinese Food

Fried Kway Teow
 This is a complete meal of flat rice noodle with crunchy bean sprouts, veges, and lots and lotsa prawns and cockles (if the hawker is generous that is..hihi..)



Dumplings
 Comfort food at its best! Soft steamed doughs stuffed with meats and veges.


Favorite Thai Food
For me, Thai food is considered as one of Malaysian food, as there are quite a numbers of Malaysian citizen Siamese especially in the northern region, Kelantan and Perlis.

Kao Yam
  This is Kao Yam or 'kerabu'. Quite different from our typical nasi kerabu in terms of ingredients used. This one consists of cooked rice, toasted coconut,  lemongrass, watercress, roasted ground chilli, kaffir lime leaves, french beans and beans sprouts. The black sauce is palm sugar with galangal, salted fish and lime leaf


Chicken Phat Phet
 Thai version of red curry. taste more like 'rendang' to me. They include a lot of shredded kaffir lime leaves, chillies(of course), galangal is a must, and more often that not, small thai eggplants.


Favorite Malay Food

Mee Rebus
Very similar to Mee jawa of Sarawak, this is a very fulfilling dish of yellow noodles in a rich gravy made of boiled sweet potato and shrimp broth.


 Nasi Dagang and Gulai Ikan Tongkol
 My first encounter on Nasi dagang is at train station at Arau, Perlis. There's two version of Nasi Dagang; Kelantan and Terengganu but basically its a steamed rice mixed with fenugreek seeds, shallots and ginger. And you can't have nasi dagang without Gulai Ikan Tongkol or Tuna Curry. The curry has a mild curry flavor, sweet with a lot of kerisek or toasted coconut paste.



 Sup Perut
 I remembered when my hubby would drive for an hour from Perlis to Jitra  just to have this Sup Perut or beef tripes in a clear broth. This can be found in a a lot of eateries all over peninsular, but the taste would vary.



Ikan Keli Bakar
 When I was staying in Perlis for 7 years, I would have this every weekend without fail. The meat is tender and the aroma of the charred catfish's skin is very addictive.


Favorite Sarawakian Food
I am a Sarawakian, so this is a must!..hehe..being thousands of miles from home, I am in a constant craving mode of these delicacies;


Pansoh Manok
 Almost all Malaysian knew 'Pansoh Manok' or Chicken Cooked In A Bamboo. Sarawakian especially the Ibans ate way too much of this yet never grew sick of it. A very simple dish of chicken, ginger buds or Bunga Kantan, ginger, tapioca leaves, salt and water all stuffed into a bamboo and cooked over open flame.


Lelita Soup
Aha!..this is a very rare Iban delicacies. Lelita belongs to the family of slug found among the mud of paddy fields. Eeww..It looks disgusting alrite and I don't  have the spine to even grab one alive, but once cooked they're so tasty I can eat a lot of these..haha..



Umai Obor Obor
 Jelly fish salad found abundantly in Kuching, Sarawak. Simple ingredients: just shallots, chillies, lime juice, sugar and sprinkles of groundnuts.



Umai Udang
 My mummy makes the best Umai Udang or Prawn Salad. The ingredients are almost similar to Umai Obor2 minus the groundnuts.



 Umai kaki Manok
 Chicken Feet Salad is my family's healthy snack. This dish is not exclusively made in Sarawak as the Peninsulars have their own version as well.


Drooling already?.So, what's your favorite Malaysian dish? Is it any similar to mine?





No comments:

Post a Comment