Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Make Your Own Play Dough


Halden told me that he is planning to buy a plasticine from his school's bookshop and I am quick to disapprove. Not only does that cheap commercial version of play dough smells really off, it left nasty oily stains on the table and floor, I have to wipe each table with soapy water, and really wipe them clean as to not leave any residues,  not to mention it ain't toxic free. So, I came up with a solution:
 Conversation between me and Halden;

Me: Let's do our own homemade play dough then

Halden : Do u know how?

Me: Well, I don't , but I bet Mr. Google does

Halden: Who is Mr. Google?

Me: A very wise uncle

Halden: Whose uncle? Yours?

Me: U sure ask a lot of question. Do u wanna make play dough or what?

And so I googled 'The Best and Easy Play Dough Recipe and found the recipe;

Ingredients:

Half a cup of Salt
1 Cup Plain Flour
2 Tablespoon of Cream of Tartar
1 Cup of water
1 tablespoon of Oil
Food coloring

I did not follow the directons to the T as I found out this way is easier than to cook the mixture in a pot and then having to clean and scour the pot.

I just mix all the ingredients except the water. Then I pour 1 cup of HOT BOILED WATER to the mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon. When the dough is not that really hot too handle, knead with your hands and slowly add more flour if the dough is too soft.
They can play with it right away. Store in a zip lock bag and place in your refrigerator to extend its shelf life. Mine last for more than a month. Make several batches in different colors, it's easy and fun!..not too mention that look on your child's face...priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment